Dscuss is a free software for public discussions. It builds an unstructured pure P2P topic-based publish-subscribe network. The current version is proof-of-work.
The idea of the project
The purpose of Dscuss is quite similar to the Internet forums, but there is one fundamental difference -- social equality of all members involved (i.e no owners, no moderators, etc). See Classification for details.
This leads to the following key features, which will be provided by Dscuss:
- Decentralization. All the information will be stored on the users' machines.
- Personal moderation. Every user will be able to manage her own copy of data and may share her management operations (edit message, remove message, ban user and so on) with others, who would like to accept them.
Besides that, Dscuss is designed to provide the following features:
- Data authenticity
- Data integrity
- Data availability
- SPAM resistance
- Flood resistance
Dscuss is not intended to provide anonymity. However, this can probably be achieved using anonymizers like Tor
API description generated by godoc is available here.
Progress of development
The current stable version is proof-of-work. It has the following features:
- Command-line interface.
- Basic security based on ECDSA.
- Persistent storage for entities.
- Basic networking (TCP only).
- Registration (via proof-of-work).
- Bootstrapping (via list of rendezvous nodes).
- Peer handshaking.
- Publishing a message.
- Listing a category.
- Subscription to categories (via editing a text file).
- Threading (replying to messages).
- Operations on messages and users.
The version 0.1 is under development. The following features are planned for this version:
- Database synchronization with other peers.
- Improved connectivity (bootstrapping via DHT).
- Improved security (SPAM resistance, flood resistance)
- Web interface.
Dscuss is written in Go and currently has the following dependencies:
- github.com/abiosoft/ishell - Library for creating interactive cli applications.
- github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3 - SQLite driver.
- golang.org/x/crypto/scrypt - Library implementing "Stronger Key Derivation via Sequential Memory-Hard Functions".
Initially Dscuss was supposed to be built on top of the GNUnet framework, but later it was considered not suitable for the purposes of Dscuss.
How to get the source code
The source code is available under GPL3. To fetch the latest source code from the git repository, run the following command:
git clone git://vminko.org/dscuss
If you want to get the proof-of-concept version (which is more or less stable):
git reset --hard proof-of-concept
How to compile
If you want to compile executable binary named
dscuss (library with CLI), run:
go build -o dscuss cmd/dscuss-cli/main.go
Or use this command if you just want to run Dscuss for one time:
go run cmd/dscuss-cli/main.go
Osiris -- a freeware program for creating decentralized web portals.
This article describes the Dscuss protocol.
Description of the Dscuss testbed and manual for launching autotests.
The systems are classified according to the attributes, which are relevant for Dscuss.
This article describes the architecture of the Dscuss service, which implements the Dscuss protocol.
This article describes algorithms for applying operations.
This page contains various notes describing Windows-specific aspects of Dscuss development.
Details about proof-of-work implementation.
This article gives a brief description how to implement bootstrapping via DHT in Dscuss.
Description of the adversary types in Dscuss.
View notes about the database.